Jan 8, 2017
Shared by Forbes
The formula for productivity is total output divided by total input. When you can reduce the what it takes to create value, you benefit tremendously. Here are 6 reasons to focus on increasing your productivity.
1. The old metrics are gone. Being in the office. Face time. Showing up on time. Putting in the hours. They no longer impact the impression of great performance. The measure is more firmly linked to output. The more value you create, the more valuable you become. That means you need to understand what is valued by your organization and you must align your actions and quantify your output.
2. Reduce your stress. Does looking at your ‘do-list’ make you feel a lump in your throat or a pain in your gut? Well, everything on your do-list does not have the same impact. Increasing productivity means eliminating those items that impede productivity. Each item should be assigned a score based on its ability to deliver value. The added benefit of a smaller do-list is the sense of calm that comes with
3. Unlimited vacation time is coming. The term “unlimited vacation’ is really a misnomer. The pioneering companies that already have this benefit, including GE, Grant Thornton, Netflix and LinkedIn know that the term means unlimited vacation time as long as you get your job done. The more productive you are, the more time you off you can justify. It’s as simple as that.
4. Do more of what you love. When you’re productive, you free up the time to do the things you love. And that leads to satisfaction and fulfillment. And that’s what it’s all about, right?
5. Increase opportunities. When you’re wasting your time on low value tasks, you’re reducing the opportunities that can come your way. Abraham Lincoln famously said: “Things may come to those who wait… but only the things left behind by those who hustle.” If you want to increase the number of opportunities that come your way, you need to create space for them.
6. Increase your joy. Do you think busy work or procrastinating adds to your happiness quotient? If you want to boost your confidence and amp up your happiness, productivity will help. The sense of accomplishment is linked to the output you create and acknowledge.